Our daughter, Lily Grace, was born to heaven on June 6, 2010. She was diagnosed with alobar holoprosencephaly (HPE) and a rare arrangment of trisomy 18 (isochrome 18q). To learn more about our experience, you may want to start at the beginning. Read Lily's Story: from Beginning to End, which is one of the first blog entries on June 24, 2010.


He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds. Psalm 147:3

Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart. Psalm 46:1


Sunday, July 11, 2010

Prayers

"I have unanswered prayers" is the first line in my newest favorite song, but it's really got me thinking. Have my prayers really been unanswered? Selfishly, of course, I wish I could have my baby girl still in my womb, and prepare to meet her in October; however, my prayers were for her to be healthy and safe. Although she is not going to be in my arms in October, she is in God's arms every day. I believe she is healthy and safe now. I guess that means that my prayers have been answered.

My prayers now are for myself, my husband, and my son. I pray that we continue to grieve the loss of our little girl in the healthiest ways possible. I pray that my husband and I continue to remember our daughter, and talk to each other about her and about our feelings. I pray that I do not let my grief override my role as a mother to my son or as a wife to my husband. I pray that I can use my experience in a positive way. I look forward to becoming more involved with organizations designed to educate and offer support to the community like the Trisomy 18 Foundation or the March of Dimes. I'm not usually one to ask others for favors, but I would like to ask anyone reading this if you would also pray for us as we continue to grieve. We might seem like we're okay, and you may even catch us smiling, but we are still hurting inside.

I pray also for anyone else who has just recently received a diagnosis as devastating as Lily's. I will continue to pray for the unborn children and their parents as they struggle to understand and cope with the idea that they have been given a terminal illness even before their life has begun. As rare as I understand that this is, I pray that those families will find strength in their support system, and that they will feel the comfort of prayers coming from a complete stranger. I know that this has certainly helped me.

1 comment: