Our daughter, Lily Grace, was born to heaven on June 6, 2010. She was diagnosed with alobar holoprosencephaly (HPE) and a rare arrangment of trisomy 18 (isochrome 18q). To learn more about our experience, you may want to start at the beginning. Read Lily's Story: from Beginning to End, which is one of the first blog entries on June 24, 2010.


He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds. Psalm 147:3

Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart. Psalm 46:1


Tuesday, July 6, 2010

1 Month

It's been one month since we lost our little girl.

I went back to work today for the first time since May 25. When I left work that day, I was so excited to have our sonogram the next morning. I thought that when I returned to work the next day, I would be able to share with everyone our baby's gender. I thought I would be making plans to go shopping since I had been holding out until we knew for sure if we would be buying pink or blue. I had no idea all that was about to happen. I didn't know that I would not return to work for six weeks. I didn't know that I would be delivering my baby, handing her off to someone else, and saying goodbye forever. I didn't know that I would be communicating with a funeral home or composing an obituary. I didn't know that I would come back a completely different person. My life changed forever during these last six weeks. I will never be the same, but I know that this was God's plan for me.

It probably wasn't the best idea to return to work on the one month anniversary of our baby's death. I knew I had to go back sometime, and that it would probably never be easy. It was a reminder of how things were when I was there last. I was happy. I had a baby bump, and was starting to wear maternity clothes. I had been told that I was glowing.

My "glow" is gone. I tried really hard to keep it together and not to cry. I expected it to be a rough day. Within fifteen minutes of being there, I weighed an envelope to be mailed, and was caught off guard when the scale read nearly 7 ounces. I immediately thought of Lily, who weighed just 7 ounces. As I carried the envelope out to the mailbox, I tried to remember feeling the weight of my baby girl in my arms. Although this experience took place within about two minutes, it stuck with me all day.

Several of my friends called me or sent me texts just to let me know that they were thinking of me. My husband sent me flowers. Many of my co-workers welcomed me back with hugs. Some didn't say anything. It was a reminder that I have to go on. Life goes on. Everyone else goes on with their day as if it is just another day. For me, each day that passes is another day without my baby, and one more day since I last saw her. I don't ever want her to be forgotten. I resent it when people don't say anything to me because they don't know what to say. Obviously, no one will ever say anything to make me feel better, but I appreciate those who acknowledge that my daughter existed. I don't want to pretend that this experience is done and over because she is gone. It's not "over" for me. I want her memory and her spirit to live on. I love those people in my life who have acknowledged that I need support and although none of them know what to say, I appreciate them even more for just saying that.

Maybe this next month will start to get just a little easier. A lot has changed for me during the past six weeks. I didn't talk to anyone other than my husband, sister, and parents for the first couple of weeks, and now I am publicly expressing my feelings for the world to read. Who knows what this next month holds for me? In the meantime, while everyone else is going through the motions of their everyday routine, I am embracing my grief, and putting myself in the vulnerable position of expressing every raw emotion as it hits me. I'm hopeful that this will help me, and maybe someone else too.

1 comment:

  1. Wendy I remember those days... when you try everything to avoid everyone and anything that will make you think of your baby! and even though you think of your baby all the time...there are those people who you can look at and you lose it... trust me I know keep your head up because thats were she is! :)

    ReplyDelete