Our daughter, Lily Grace, was born to heaven on June 6, 2010. She was diagnosed with alobar holoprosencephaly (HPE) and a rare arrangment of trisomy 18 (isochrome 18q). To learn more about our experience, you may want to start at the beginning. Read Lily's Story: from Beginning to End, which is one of the first blog entries on June 24, 2010.


He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds. Psalm 147:3

Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart. Psalm 46:1


Thursday, June 24, 2010

Thank You

Although I have sent personal thank you notes, I'd like to publicly acknowledge all who have touched my heart recently and helped my family to cope with the loss of our little girl.
The medical professionals who worked with us were all amazing. We were blessed to have Dr. Urban deliver our baby girl. She educated us on our baby's condition and offered a tremendous amount of support and encouaragement. All of our nurses at PRMC: Jean, Lindsay, Christy, Beth, Maggie, and Dawn. They each offered us just what we needed at the right times. Melissa, our genetic counselor in Annapolis, who was so compassionate and patient with us. Dr. Sweeney, also in Annapolis, who shared with us our baby's diagnosis for the first time. He was straight forward and honest when we needed him to be. He gave us the information that we needed without offering us false hope, which I appreciated. Jenn, the bereavement counselor with the hospital, who talked with us inthe hospital and continues to stay in contact with me for support.
My family, obviously, has been there for me every step of the way. I am blessed to have such an amazing family. They are my strength. My parents, who stayed with me the entire time I was in the hospital and nearly every day since. My mom has listened to me cry and grieve, and has loved me like only a mother could. My sister, Tracy and brother-in-law, Steve, who both had the opportunity to see and hold Lily. I also want to thank Father David Tontonoz, who came to hospital to baptize Lily. Also, Pastor Mark Bunting, who came to visit with us in the hospital. Our new church famiy who sent us a gorgeous flower arrangement and prayed for us. Although we don't know many of you, we are extremely grateful for your prayers.
Our friends who brought us meals and flowers: Smoot, Sherry, Michelle & Gene, Sara and Dee. And the many, many more friends and family who have called and sent cards, letters, and messages.
My ESPS family, who donated their personal vacation time to allow me time to heal. My supervisor, Laura, who offered support and encouragement when I needed to share with someone what was happening.
Each of you has reminded me how much we are loved and how much Lily is loved. I appreciate you all, and want you each to know how much you mean to us.

2 comments:

  1. Wendy, thank you for sharing this beautiful, beautiful story. The tiny footprints and the phrase "born to heaven" melted my heart. If it's all right, I'll pass it on to my daughters-in-love who have both lost children too early. Blessings and hugs to you and Duran and Owen. Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely Karen! I hope to someday be a resource for other parents who have lost children. I will continue to document my grief process and any helpful information I can find on holoprosencephaly and trisomy 18.

    ReplyDelete